Skyline Bowling
- Reviewed on Switch 2 -
Skyline Bowling released on February 7th, 2025.
Developed by Voodoo and published by QubicGames and Voodoo, Skyline Bowling is a fast paced, arcade style bowling game that caught my attention with its simple presentation and focus on unlocking new content.
Bowling games don't always need to be overly complicated, and Skyline Bowling definitely keeps things simple, while still giving you plenty of things to work towards.
After playing this myself, I was pleasantly surprised with how polished the overall experience felt. The controls are smooth, the loading times are fast, and there is a pretty good amount of customization and unlockable content to keep you coming back.
This review WILL have Major Spoilers so keep that in mind before continuing...
The main idea behind Skyline Bowling is pretty straightforward. You bowl!
There isn't some huge story or complicated campaign to follow, and honestly, I don't think this game needs one. Instead, the focus is on bowling, unlocking new equipment, improving your skills, and trying out the different bowling alleys and variations that Skyline Bowling has to offer.
This makes it a pretty easy game to pick up and play whenever you have some free time.
Whether you're looking to play by yourself or with other players, Skyline Bowling gives you plenty of options to mess around with.
Upon starting the game, one of the first things I noticed was just how smooth the controls are.
Bowling games can sometimes make throwing the ball feel either too sensitive or too awkward, but I never really had that issue here.
Everything feels responsive and easy to understand.
You can focus on lining up your shot, controlling your throw, and hopefully knocking down all of those pins!
It's a very basic concept, but the controls make the gameplay feel much better than I expected.
The graphics are also pretty basic, but I don't mean that as an insult.
Skyline Bowling uses a polished 3D art style that looks clean and gets the job done.
The bowling alleys have different designs and variations, and everything is easy to see while you're playing.
There isn't anything here that's going to make you stop and stare at the screen because of how amazing the graphics are, but that's not really what this game is trying to accomplish.
The simple graphics actually work pretty well for the fast paced gameplay.
Something else I really appreciated was the performance.
I played Skyline Bowling on Switch 2, and I didn't experience any frame rate drops during my time with the game.
Loading times were also very fast, which is something I always appreciate in games like this.
You can jump between gameplay and menus without feeling like you're sitting around waiting for the game to load forever.
For a bowling game that is supposed to be something you can quickly pick up and play, this is definitely a positive!
Skyline Bowling also has a pretty good amount of unlockable content.
You aren't just playing the same bowling alley over and over again with nothing to work towards.
There are different bowling alley types and variations to unlock, along with customization options that let you change up your experience.
This gives the game a little more personality, especially if you're someone who enjoys collecting everything a game has to offer.
Speaking of customization, there is also upgradable gear and skills.
This is where Skyline Bowling starts to feel a little more like an arcade progression game.
As you continue playing, you can work towards improving your gear and skills, which can help you become a better bowler.
I like having these upgrades because it gives you an actual reason to continue playing beyond just trying to get better at bowling itself.
The only problem I have with this system is how grindy it can feel.
The upgrade points take a while to collect, and if you're someone who wants to unlock and upgrade everything, you're going to be playing for quite a bit.
I completely understand why this system is here. That's the point of having progression in a game like this.
You play, earn points, upgrade things, then continue playing.
However, Skyline Bowling is such a fast paced game that the progression can sometimes feel slower than it should.
I don't mind having to work for upgrades, but getting everything can feel like a bit of a grind.
There are also multiplayer modes, which I think are a great addition.
Bowling is one of those sports that naturally works well with multiplayer, whether you're playing competitively or just messing around with friends.
Having multiple players involved also gives Skyline Bowling some extra longevity.
Once you've played through the single-player content, having multiplayer available gives you another reason to come back.
Now, I do have one major complaint that I absolutely have to bring up.
The music.
There is basically one music track that constantly plays during the game, and I just can't stand it.
This is one of those situations where I actually found myself wishing the game had more music, or at least an option to change it up more often.
I don't necessarily think the music itself is terrible, but hearing the same track constantly can get annoying very quickly.
In a fast paced game where you're playing multiple matches in a row, having that same song follow you around isn't exactly ideal.
With that being said, I don't think the music issue ruins Skyline Bowling.
You can always lower the volume or listen to something else while playing, and thankfully, the actual gameplay is strong enough that the music isn't what you'll be focusing on most of the time.
The smooth controls, different bowling alleys, customization, upgrades, and multiplayer options are much more important to the overall experience.
Skyline Bowling is a very simple game, but sometimes simple is exactly what you want.
The controls are smooth, the graphics are polished, the performance is great, and there is a surprising amount of unlockable content for a bowling game.
The upgrade system can definitely feel grindy, and I really wish there was more variety with the soundtrack, but neither issue completely takes away from the experience.
If you enjoy bowling games, arcade sports games, or just want something easy to pick up and play, I think Skyline Bowling is worth checking out.
It isn't trying to reinvent bowling, and honestly, it doesn't need to.
It takes the basic idea of bowling, adds progression, customization, different locations, and multiplayer, and turns it into a pretty enjoyable package.
Sometimes you just want to throw a bowling ball down the lane, knock some pins over, and have a good time!
Pros:
- Great and Smooth Controls
- Plenty of Unlockables
- Different Bowling Alley Types / Variations
- Polished 3D Graphics
- No Frame Rate Drops
- Fast Loading Times
- Customization Options
- Upgradable Gear and Skills
- Multiplayer Modes
Cons:
- Only One Main Music Track Gets Repetitive
- Upgrade Points Can Feel Too Grindy
- Progression Can Feel Slow for a Fast Paced Bowling Game
My Rating for Skyline Bowling (on Switch 2):
4 / 5
-----
Disclaimer
All Reviews, Ratings, Pros, Cons, and Opinions Shared on this Blog (Press A Reviews) are my (Connor Butler) own Thoughts and Feelings.
Comments
Post a Comment